“Voila”, said the stranger, and sank into a wooden armchair; “I am Hercule Poirot.”
“You do not know the name?”
“I have never heard it”, said Hippolyte.
“Permit me to say that you have been badly educated. It is the name of one of the great ones of this world.”
A man doesn’t wasnt to feel that a woman cares more for him than he cares for her. He doesn’t want to feel owned, body and soul. It’s that damned possessive attitude.
Agatha Christie in Death on the Nile (via leonha92)
It’s simon doyle said to Hercule Poirot :)
"And in that moment i understood everything - understood why Poirot was seeking her, and what she feared and understood at last my own heart." Chapter 22 - I Found Love (Murder on the Links)
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: I saw you in front. You and your friend. When you got up to go, i was waiting outside and followed you. Why are you here - in Coventry? What were you doing there tonight? is the man who was with you the - the detective?
- Arthur Hastings: Yes,
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Is he looking for me?
- Arhur Hastings: Don't cry, child, don't cry, for God's sake. You're safe here. I'll take care of you. Don't cry, darling. Don't cry. I know - i know everything.
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Oh, but you don't!
- Arthur Hastings: I think i do. It was you who took the dagger, wasn't it?
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Yes,
- Arthur Hastings: that was why you wanted me to show you round? And why you pretended to faint? Why did you take the dagger?
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: I was afraid there might be finger marks on it.
- Arthur Hastings: But didn't you remember that you had worn gloves?
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Are you going to give me up to - to the police?
- Arthur Hastings: Good God! No.
- Dulcie Duveen: Why not?
- Arthur Hastings: .......Because i love you, Cinderella..
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: You can't - you can't! not if you knew...what do you know then?
- Arthur Hastings: I know that you came to see M. Renauld that night. He offered you a cheque and you tore it up indignantly. Then you left the house..
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Go on - what next?
- Arthur Hastings: I don't know whether you knew that Jack Renauld would be coming that night, or whether you just waited about on the chance of seeing him, but you wait about. Perhaps you were just miserable and walked restlessly - but at any rate - just before twelve you were still there, and you saw a man on the golf links..
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Go on..
- Arthur Hastings: I fancy his back was to you, but you recognized him, or thought you recognized him, the gait and the carriage were familiar to you, and the pattern of his overcoat. You used a threat in one of your letters to Jack Renauld. When you saw him there, your anger and jealousy drove your mad - and you struck. I don't believe for a minute that you meant to kill him, but you did kill him, Cinderella.
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: You're right....you're right. I can see it all as you tell it. And you love me?! Knowing what i did, how can you love me?
- Arthur Hastings: i don't know. i think love is like that - a thing one cannot help. I have tried, i know - ever since the first day i met you, but love has been too strong for me.
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: Oh, i can't! I don't know what to do. I don't know which way to turn. Oh, pitty me, pitty me, someone, and tell what to do!
- Arthur Hastings: Don't be afraid of me, Bella. For God's sake don't be afraid of me. I love you, that's true - but i don't want anything in return. Only let me help you. Love him still if you have to, but let me help you, as he can't.
- Dulcie Duveen/Cinderella: You think that? You think that i love Jack Renauld?? ..... Not as i love you.....Never as i love you....
- Her lips brushed my cheek, and then seeking my mouth, kissed me again and again with a sweetness and fire beyound belief. The wildness of it - and the wonder, i shall not forget - no, not as long as i live. It was a sound in the doorway that made us look up. Poirot was standing there looking at us.
On this last scene, Jacqueline de Bellefort shoot her true love, Simon Doyle, and then she shoot herself.